photo 427557833905665036_zps1423272d.gif

Monday, August 20, 2012

Three Great Ways You Can Get That “Dream Guitar” Without The Hefty Price Tag, A fun project for the do it yourselfer…


Local Music Gear Feature Story
Written By:
Jac Harrison
Many of us self-proclaimed guitarists are always on the search for that perfect guitar. We know what we are looking for -- but we just can never seem to find it. When we find a guitar that has the look we want it doesn't have the right sound and vice versa.

There are many luthiers, custom, and boutique shops that can make a guitar to your specifications -- and that's great if you have the cash. For a well built guitar you can expect to throw down around $1,500 or more. For those of us that just can not or will not pay that much for a guitar there are a few alternatives that can get you that perfect axe you have dreamed of.

PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER

The first way is to build your own. Now I'm not talking about cutting down a tree in your neighbor's yard, but there are a handful of companies that provide all of the parts you need from nut to saddle. These include Stewart MacDonald, All Parts, MoJo Tone, and WD Music Products. These companies have on-staff luthiers that can help you when ordering and provide you with technical support while you are building your dream guitar.

For my dream guitar build I used WD Music Products. I ordered everything from them but the guitar body. It was a wonderful experience. I spoke with their in-house luthier, Fred, and told him what I wanted. The entire conversation was less than ten minutes, and all of my parts where shipped the next day. Now I could have ordered the body from them but I wanted something a little different than what they offered. My dream guitar was a combination of a flat top thin body walnut LP style with a bolt on hardened maple Strat neck. There are a few places where you can order custom guitar bodies, such as Warmoth, but I wanted to use a local luthier. Brian Jeppson, master luthier of Jeppson Guitars was able to cut the guitar body to the exact shape and configuration I wanted. All I needed to do was bring the neck and bridge to him and within two weeks I had the walnut body I wanted.

WD Music Products Build with a Brian Jeppson Body
Now that I had all of the parts to assemble I just needed to prep and finish the body. There are many different ways you can put a finish on a guitar from paint, stains, and oils. I went with a product called True Oil. This is the oil that people use on gun stocks and can be picked up at any sporting goods store that has a hunting department. The first step in the process was a grain filler that Bryan Jeppson had done for me -- so all I needed to do was to sand with 300 grit and oil. (You should use gloves and apply an oil finish to a guitar in a well ventilated area; also note that the rags you use to apply the oil are combustible, so discard them as the instructions on the bottle state so you do not set fire to your home or shop).

After three coats of True Oil the guitar had the finish I was looking for, a nice dull sheen that really made the grain in the wood pop out. The entire oiling process took 24 hours. (You need to wait three hours in between each coating of oil and gently steel wool before the last coat.) Once the oil had completely hardened I used guitar polish and a cotton cloth to buff out the finish.

The rest was easy-- copper tape for shielding, screwing in the parts, setting the neck, wiring her up, cutting the nut and stringing her up -- basic setup  stuff. If you can change a set of pickups and set the intonation on a guitar you can build your own. Now with that said, if you do not have the working knowledge of the basic mechanics of an electric guitar you can take a class, watch a video or read a book to learn how to make your own guitar.

My Guitar is a walnut slab body with a hardened maple neck dressed with a rosewood fingerboard featuring 22 jumbo frets with pearl dot inlays.  Her heart is made of (2) KentArmstrong vintage O 4 conductor humbucker pickups that I have split three ways each with on, on, on switches giving her eleven different pickups positions with 500k pots, an EP-4380-000 - .022 MFD Orange Drop Capacitor, Switch-craft switch and 1/4 inch jack. She is topped with Grover 18/1 ratio mechanic heads and a Tusq nut.  
If I was to buy this guitar off the shelf -- if I could find one or have a luthier build me one just like this, it would have cost me over $2,500. To build this guitar the way I did it will cost you $650, and $150 is for the body.


BUYING A DREAM KIT

R M Olson Languedoc
The other way you can build your own guitar is by building a prefabricated kit. If your dream guitar is one that a high end manufacturer makes that is way out of your price rage -- you could just order one that is made by someone else. My dream factory made guitar is a Languedoc. The model I like has a price tag of a ripe $10,000, but the R M Olson version I ordered would set you back about $310 with shipping for an unfinished unassembled kit. Now you can order one that is put together for you, but that would just be cheating.   

Robert (the R in R M Olson) makes quality guitars that emulate some of the best guitars on the market -- and he is a nice guy. There is normally a 70-day wait for one of his unassembled kits, so that should tell you right there that you are dealing with a quality product. One cool aspect about buying a kit is that they give you the option of different hardware and pickups so you can get the perfect setup and tone.
 
When buying a guitar kit it's kind of like buying a luxury car; you have your base model and then a ton of personalized options. The options can bring your price up by a few bucks -- but it will be nowhere near the price tag of the guitar it is designed after. Some people compare a guitar kit to a kit car. In my opinion the only thing they have in common is that they are less expensive versions of what they emulate. But a guitar kit, unlike a kit car, is not a fiberglass body on a cheap chassis, but tone woods with quality electronics giving you the look and tone you would expect from a much more expensive guitar. The model I received has a solid maple top with solid mahogany back and sides wrapped in a rosewood veneer, a solid maple neck dressed in a rosewood fingerboard featuring 24 frets with pearl bar inlays. At her heart she has (2) EMG style humbuckers with CF 250k pots, a three-way Switchcraft style switch and 1/4 inch jack.

Since the kit I ordered was unfinished raw wood, I needed to give her a nice look. After sanding out her imperfections starting with 300 grit sand paper and ending with steel wool -- I gave her three coats of a water based wood stain. The colors I used were gun stock amber with a 50/50 water to stain ratio on her top and neck, and a burnt cherry 60/40 water to stain ratio on her back and sides. I left her neck and headstock back with a satin finish and added two coats of True Oil to her body. Once the body was dry it was time to assemble. The only modifications I made to the kit was some copper tape shielding, 500k pots, an EP-4380-000 - .022 MFD Orange Drop Capacitor, and an all-in-one intonatable wrap aroundbridge. Then, after a quick set-up, she was ready to rock and roll.

INEXPENSIVE CHANGES--BUT IMPORTANT ONES

SX Liquid RN 3P90 from Rondo Music
Another great option for the beginning builder--or if you just do not want to spend a lot of cash--is to buy an inexpensive guitar and make a few small, but important changes. For this I went with SX Liquid RN 3P90 from Rondo Music. This guitar will set you back $149.95 ready to play.

Now you are getting an inexpensive guitar, but that does not mean you are getting a piece of junk. The guitar I received was well built, it had a solid alder body, maple neck, and (3) P-90 style pickups. Overall the build quality was about the same as Epiphone or Peavey - they are made to last but with cheap parts.

I put a total of $37 into this guitar and gave her a setup. The first thing was I sanded her neck. I hate the high gloss necks that most inexpensive guitars have. It must just be cheaper for the factory to spray them than it is to treat them with polish or oil. All it needed was a few swipes with 300 grit sand paper. After I removed all of her shininess, I used some guitar polish with a cotton cloth to buff out her finish and my hand was able to glide up and down her without any hesitation. Next was her electronics. When I plugged her in the pickups sounded better than I was expecting, but I was getting a 60 cycle hum from a bad ground. I simply replaced the stock pick-guard shielding with copper tape and re-soldered her with a set of 500k pots and an EP-4380-000 - .022 MFD Orange Drop Capacitor to replace her stock components. The only other thing I changed was her nut to one made by Tusq, and her strings to Kerly strings.  

So if you are up for a challenge, as you can see there are a few options for you ranging in price from about $180 to $650.  Just because you went to your local music store and fell in love with a guitar you could never afford, don't feel bad. Learn how to customize -- learn how to build.  Just because a guitar has a brand name on it doesn't make it a better instrument than another. It's the materials and craftsmanship inside that make it a quality instrument, and give it a high quality sound.  

Contact

Guitar one - Walnut LP 
 WD Music Products
wdmusic.com
(P) 877-WDMUSIC

Jeppson Guitars  

Guitar two - R M Olson Languedoc Kit
R M Olson Guitars

Guitar three - SX Liquid RN 3P90
Rondo Music 

For Luither Tools
Stewart MacDonald
stewmac.com
(P) 800-848-2273

Posted 08/2012