photo 427557833905665036_zps1423272d.gif

Friday, March 22, 2013

The Five Best Guitar Picks Ever Made ...

Most of us self-proclaimed guitarist spend thousands of dollars and countless hours carefully hand selecting our gear to find our perfect tone. To me, my tone is more than just the sound that comes out of my amp -- but it is my signature and is the feeling of my sound. One of the elements I had over looked for many years was the guitar pick. About a year ago Graphtech had sent me their new guitar picks made of a material they call Tusq. I had used Tusq nuts and saddles on many of my guitars and knew what it did for my tone, but I wasn’t sold on the pick idea as I was used to playing with a Dunlop Tortex .88mm pick and never put much thought into it. To say the least, I was very wrong. The Tusq pick opened my eyes and ears to the idea that I could change/color my tone by using different guitar picks made from different materials. Over the last year I have been on a mission to find the perfect guitar pick and to my surprise there wasn't just one -- there where a few depending on what I was looking to achieve. This is a comparison of the five best guitar picks I found and what they did for my tone and playability. 

**I used a Dunlop Tortex .88mm as the control for comparison. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Tusq By Graphtech

Tusq by Graphtech Guitar Labs is a synthetic alternative to animal bone used on stringed instruments at the points where the strings touch the instrument and now guitar picks.


Tone: Will brighten up your tone, increase sustain and give you more of a natural sound.  


__________________________________________________________________________________________

Swiss Picks

Swiss Picks is the manufacturer of non-slip guitar picks with an off center hole + raised edge with a patent pending design.


Tone: The same tone as the control pick but with much better grip. 


Read the full review          Buy this pick
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Gravity Guitar Picks


Gravity Picks is the manufacturer of guitar picks that are custom made to your specific dimensions and finish. Gravity Guitar Picks are not a mass produced product. Each pick is shaped, polished, and packaged by professional craftsmen. 

Tone: You hear less pick and more string with a slight boost in the lower-mid range frequency with an increase in harmonic response and sustain.


_______________________________________________________________________________________


Carlino Guitars Expression Exotic Tonewood

Carlino Guitars is the manufacturer of tonewood guitar picks that are custom made form exotic woods with some styles specifically designed for right and left handed players.


Tone: Depending on the tonewood used, you can brighten or darken your tone. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________


Pickstrap Guitar Picks

Pickstrap Picks is the manufacturer of guitar picks that have a braided elastic band that is looped with a non-slip rubber strip through the pick to create a flexible fit that allows a guitarist to attach the pick to their finger while playing.


Tone: The same tone as the control pick but with much better grip via finger strap.

__________________________________________________________________________________________





Posted 03/2013
© 2013 localmusicgear.com All rights reserved